UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am india and want to open a subsidiary or a branch office

Hey I am india and want to open a subsidiary or a branch office in uk But i dont understand should i go for a wholly owned subsidiary or a branch
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am from India
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None My startup deals in ready to cook food. I want to conduct business in the uk. For this ive been asked to open a uk company
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats good i think

A wholly owned subsidiary is usually preferable due to the advantage of limited liability where liability sits with the subsidiary in the UK and does not usually flow to the parent company in India. A branch is merely an extension of the parent company so any liability would flow to the parent company.

May I help further? If not, please leave a positive rating.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Apart from the liability. I think the subsidiary has to pay taxes on global operations, does that include the profits from the parent company and any other subsidiaries that the parent might have?

No, the UK tax liability on the worldwide income is limited to the UK subsidiary only, it does not impact on the foreign parent company.

You may find this useful: https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/guides/setting-up-a-subsidiary-in-the-uk--key-tax-issues

All the best. Please leave a positive rating if this helps

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It does. Thanks a lot.

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have filled the for IN01_V6 for opening an international subsidiary in the uk. Can you help me check if everything Ive written is correct?I have no current operations in the UK. I plan to start. I have a friend here in UK who has agreed to be my representative here. I hoped to register the company on his address. The parent company is 9 months old and has not filed any accounts yet with the authorities in India. Other Details follows:Name of Parent: Futuro Alimento Pvt Ltd
Address: 1st floor, 3-2-364, Krishna Kutir, Nimboli Adda, Kachiguda, Hyderabad, Telangana, India - 500027
Governing body: Companies Act 2013, Constitution of IndiaName of Representative: Birud Patel
Address: 193b London Road, Mitcham, London, UK - CR4 2JDName of Subsidiary: Futuro Alimento UK Pvt Ltd
Address: 193b London Road, Mitcham London UK - CR4 2JD

I am afraid I am unable to assist with checking that as this is not a law firm but an online Question and Answer service.

All the best