How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7361
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

About 8 years ago my partner set up his own limited company

This answer was rated:

Hi about 8 years ago my partner set up his own limited company as he was doing contracting work - he made himself a Director and me as the Company Secretary - he then said he would pay us a dividend and asked if he could put £12k into one of my Bank Accounts - its has remained there ever since untouched - The Company was then closed and we are no longer Directors - however we are now splitting up and he is asking for his money back - do I have to give it to him after all this time as he did mentioned something about it being my wage at the time - but didnt really understand all that. Any advice please?


You may refuse to pay it back on the basis that you did not agree to do so at the time you received the money and that you accepted the money on the basis that the money was being paid to you as a dividend/wage.

In any case, any claim he now has would also be time barred under the Limitation Act 1980 as being more than 6 years ago.

May I help further? If not, please click on 5 stars

UKSolicitorJA and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you