Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

On the date of 26/08/2020, I and my friend arrived in The

On the date of 26/08/2020, I and my friend arrived in The UK, we got stopped by the Border Force at the airport, and I have declared the number of cigarettes that we had on, that being 40 sleeves, explained that was for personal use purchased from duty-free shop, this amount was due to the covid19 situation, with everyone struggling financially myself included, and how pricy cigarettes are in the UK and are unable to quit, just wanted to save some money for the next period with everything being so stressful.

Explained that to the officer, they followed I guess the process and started asking the protocol questions, I have tried to answer to the best of my abilities, but might have understood wrong, as English is not my first language and a translator was not provided, I have struggled to understand some terminology that has been used, and did not fully understand the details, if you look at the surveillance cameras from that period, the agents called more people to where we were and I started to feel confused and intimidated, asked me to fill in details on some paperwork, or they can take me for another 3h interview but they said the result will be the same, got given some leaflets, and told I need to appeal in writing.

They decided to give me back 2 sleeves of cigarettes, and some paperwork, that doesn’t have any signature of the agents, stamp or reference number for the seized goods.

Based on the UK customs information, they should have returned back 800 cigarettes (per person) that are 4 sleeves, but we only got returned 400 cigarettes nothing more.

I`m writing this claim, due to this creating a big financial detriment and I have no criminal record, no warning, no fines, nothing, always been a law-abiding citizen.

And I wish to make this claim for the seized goods for the 38 38 sleeves of kent 8 (7600 cigarettes ), to be returned if possible as this is my first time being in these circumstances, and this being for personal use, and feel that I was not taken through the proper steps, as a language barrier have had a big impact on these circumstances, plus documentation not being complete that the Border Force provided, I feel that I have been misinformed on specific /important information.

I hold all receipts and was not provided full information /documents by the Border Force,

I have attached as well The documentation provided By the Border Force gave me, where dates are wrong, no signature from the agents, stamp from them, or reference number for the seized goods, witch this should make the documentation and seized goods process invalid.

Please let me know if this problem can be solved.

ALEX XXXXXX
***@******.***

XXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXX
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Can we talk on the phone?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I sent two letters to the authorities
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: On the date of 26/08/2020, I and my friend arrived in The UK, we got stopped by the Border Force at the airport, and I have declared the number of cigarettes that we had on, that being 40 sleeves, explained that was for personal use purchased from duty-free shop, this amount was due to the covid19 situation, with everyone struggling financially myself included, and how pricy cigarettes are in the UK and are unable to quit, just wanted to save some money for the next period with everything being so stressful.

ALEX XXXXX
***@******.***

XXXXXXX827

XXXXX Street, XXXXX,XXXXX  Detail Required: HIGH

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
File attached (L23QQL6)
Hi to bring an action against HM Border force you need to issue a claim using this form: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7
Send it to to your nearest county court: https://www.gov.uk/find-court-tribunal
Call them and pay the issue fee and then wait for the hearing. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.