Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My ex husband took out storage from a storage facility

Hello My ex husband took out storage from a storage facility shortly before his death. 18 months later my daughter is now administrator of the estate and we want to remove belongings from the storage unit. They have been most unhelpful throughout. When we accessed the unit there was a antique carpet in there that had an infestation of insects. There were insects in the hallway of the unit and inside the unit was a grill in the wall. We paid the bill to them of 6.5k pounds which includes the insurance but when we asked if the carpet is insured they said that because the bill was not paid the insurance was not applied to the unit and yet the bill we paid included the insurance. Should the bill we paid be deducted from insurance and get a rebate from them or should the carpet be insured still? They also told us that they did not know the state of the carpet in the first place, but surely that should apply to every item they hold. Kind regards ***** *****
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: lewes, uk
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

I am sorry to hear of your loss Michelle but it sounds like that you have an issue with the storage company.

You would do well in checking the terms and conditions of the contract to see what it says.

If it says they can not apply for insurance if the bill is not paid.

I suspect it does not say they can do that. If that is the case then you can sue them for the costs of replacement of the carpet like for like.

If the terms do say they can refuse to insure if you do not pay the bill, then you should deduct the insurance element from the bill

Why pay for insurance if they are not going to apply it?

But check the contract first, see what it says in the terms regarding insurance.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not might I invite you to leave me a positive rating before you go, this ensures the site credits me for the time spent answering your question.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I will get hold of the contract, thank you for your help and ill be back if I need to speak to you. Will this be held for a while on here?

Yes, that is no problem.