Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I am the President of a private members club. One of the

Hello, I am the President of a private members club. One of the club committee members has obtained the email addresses of most of the club members and has sent 2 or 3 emails to them in his own name. Some of the members have complained and asked where he got the addresses from. When asked he has refused to say how he got the email addresses. Is the person concerned in breach of the Data Protection laws?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Epsom, Surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have held a disciplinary hearing to ask where he got the data from and who authorised his emails. He has refused to answer these questions.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this a free service?
Data protection laws do not apply to individuals as such so you could use it to remove him from the committee but ultimately the club is liable. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.