How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70217
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I started work as self employed for delivery company. I'm

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I started work as self employed for delivery company. I'm renting a van from them, few months ago I had small accident, now company charging me 3rd part insurance access fee £1200.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in Surrey UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I spoke with my manager, area manager Both of them not sure does the accident even registered with insurance
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a contract with company, I can forward it if needed

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

I'm sorry to hear of this. Can you please tell me if there is anything in your contractor agreement that allows the company to pass on such charges?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
There is access fee, but as I thought it's for vehicle damage, I can forward contract, it's not to long

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. The key here is whether the company has actually incurred these charges and they have genuinely suffered a loss to that amount. They cannot just penalise you with that fee and then not actually use the money to pay to repair the damage or meet any insurance premium fees, etc. So you can ask them for evidence of how these costs have been incurred to satisfy yourself that they are genuine and reasonable and if they cannot provide such evidence and it appears they are just charging you to penalise you, you can refuse to pay and challenge them over it.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you so much for answering. By any chance you can have a look at the contract. There's an issue with challenging payment, they paying for me and they just taking off my paycheck. I've tried to talk with management but none of them doing anything.

Ok yes please attach the contract on here

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you