Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My dentist has charged me a lot of money for work done and

My dentist has charged me a lot of money for work done and he is registered as NHS . When i asked him he said the Government no longer pays
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Christ church
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None. I would like to see if i can claim it back. I am 80 and paid in all my life and served my Country.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

I'm sorry to hear this. Did your dentist inform you of the charges beforehand?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
he said he was charging because the Government were not paying him enough or not at all.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Are you still there Ben
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I do not want the phone call

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I am not paying that amount for a phone call.

Don’t worry about the pop-up mentioning a phone call – this is an automatic offer made by the system, giving you the opportunity to pay extra to discuss things over the phone. However it is entirely optional, although I am not available for a phone call at present so if you just ignore it and close it down you will not be charged extra and we will just continue in writing at no extra cost. I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. When someone receives a service from a business party, you can expect them to charge you reasonable costs. If they have deliberately, or negligently, overcharged you then you can consider challenging them over this and potentially pursue them for some compensation to reduce the payments which were unfairly charged.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the compensation in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim. Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback - it was my pleasure helping you with your query. All the best