How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK Solicitor John Your Own Question
UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1310
Experience:  8 years legal experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK Solicitor John is online now

I am currently renting a flat for two years with no break

This answer was rated:

hi i am currently renting a flat for two years with no break clause my fridge has been broken since 06 july and still not fixed and likely wont be sorted for another few weeks i have a number of pics of me trying to reach my landlady and her replying she is sorting a fridge apparently but its been months is this legitimate grounds to move out early because she hasnt stuck to the lease agreement to maintain white goods in working order
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: ive spoken to the estate agent and let them know and theyve hurried her up a bit ive got 5 or 6 pics of our whatsapp chat where you can see me hounding her for feedback and getting next to nothing also her saying will get a new one etc and then not
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: battersea reach
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope thats cool i think
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
File attached (31QSPL2)

Hello thanks for your message.

Sorry to hear of the inconvenience you are experiencing. I will try my best to assist and please do ask any questions on any points you are unsure of.

To be direct about your question, you will still be liable to pay the rent despite the fridge not working. If there is no break clause contained within the agreement, then the only way to get out of the contract is if the landlord agrees that you can surrender your contract. Another way is if the landlord advises you can leave but must find someone else to replace you, which in that case you will just be liable until the date a new person moves in. Otherwise, you cannot leave early as you are legally tied into the contract. If you did, then the landlord can pursue you for unpaid rent for breach of contract.

However, if you are dissatisfied your landlord you can complain directly to the landlord and subsequently to the council. They would investigate and if they find that your landlord has breached their duties and obligations to you, can prosecute and at times offer you compensation. You could use this as leverage to the landlord in your complaint (if you wanted to exit) to ask the landlord to release you from the contract or you will go to the council. She does not have to, but it could be worth trying.

I hope I have helped clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any questions. All the best.

UK Solicitor John and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
ok understood thank you very much.

Pleasure, all the best to you. John.