31090051

I have a copy of a London newspaper produced in 1912. Am I

Hello - I have a copy of a London newspaper produced in 1912. Am I allowed to scan the front page and put it online? I also have a photograph produced in the 1920s/30s. It was scanned by a local authority and I now have a copy. Do they hold the copyright to that copy or am I free to reproduce it?
JA: Do you have a registration record?
Customer: nope
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Thanks for your question. I am a copyright solicitor in the UK and can help you with your question today. Given the age, copyright in both items has now expired and you can reproduce them. I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything, I am always happy to help.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you so much - so the council that scanned the photo doesn't hold rights to the image? They are both public domain even if someone has scanned them?

No, that’s right. You can’t get copyright of something that has already expired so the fact the council has scanned them doesn’t matter. I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything, I am always happy to help.