How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78463
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I had an incident with my car but the unfortunate part is I

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon, I had an incident with my car but the unfortunate part is I was driving alone using the provisional licence. How best can I handle it? Is it possible to forward you the correspondence from the insurance company then you can help
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: In the UK
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I were to sell the car would it be advisable

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Are you asking if you can avoid this coming out?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you

Ok, so how can I help?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I had an accident with my car, unfortunately I was driving alone using my provisional licence. No one was injured but I scratched one car, hit another which went on to hit a third one which was in front of it. Insurance company said I breached the contract which is true the said to sign an indemnity form so they can help then recover costs with me. Is it possible to forward you the correspondence from the insurance company then you can help me

Thank you.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news. I'm afraid you are in difficulty here.

I have to tell you thetruth.

I am sorry but it wouldbe wrong of me to avoid giving you the downside of your


I’m not sure what your question is. But if you are asking whether you can avoidthis coming out then the answer is no. You can only respond to the insurance company. If you don’t they will just claim on the MIBwho will recover from you.

If you just offer to pay it, then I doubt they wouldreport you but you do face a risk I’m afraid. It is not the most serious offence anyway obviously.

I am sorry but I can only tell you the truth.

Do remember that I can only give you myopinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion.Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting tolose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even thoughthey have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a goodchance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer toevery legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed tocourt.

The ultimate decisioncomes from a county court judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in acriminal case heard in the magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Hopefully, Ihave answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. Ifanything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. Inthe meantime, thank you once again for using our services.


Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What risk do I face? No I know I cannot avoid it but what risk do I face? Also if I were to sell the car is it advisable or I have to keep it until the whole issue is resolved?

Prosecution for no licence and no insurance.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay, thanks that would be prosecution for no licence, insurance I have. What about selling the car is it advisable or keep it until case is resolved?

He was driving without a licence though your insurance would have been invalidated. You can sell the car.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you