ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

What paperwork do I need to allow me to marry my Turkish

What paperwork do I need to allow me to marry my Turkish partner in turkey? I am a British citizen and he is Turkish citizen so I was wondering what all I needed to take over with me to get married. Thank you
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I have got an affidavit for marriage signed by a public notary and have had this legalised. I live in Scotland and I am British.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I am just looking for confirmation that I do not require anything else. Thanks

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to help.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Is there any further information that you require to assist with this? Thanks

Thanks for your enquiry and patience. As far as I am aware there are no additional documents required. The guidance given is that the affidavit should be the only document required. There are however steps you would need to take upon arriving in Turkey. This link I believe is clear in setting out what to do:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-marriage-procedures-for-british-nationals-in-turkey#:~:text=If%20you%20are%20resident%20in%20Turkey,for%20administering%20their%20oath%2Faffirmation.

Sometimes however things may change. So, what I would recommend is that you contact the Turkish embassy in London prior to leaving, this is so as to confirm that the information on the internet is accurate and up to date. hearing is the number for the consulate's office.

http://london.emb.mfa.gov.tr/Mission/Contact

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you for your reponse. I will give the Turkish Embassy a call as advised just to ensure there are no additional needs. Thanks again.

No prob. You are most welcome. All the best!