Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have an unpaid invoice from a business that is saying that

hi i have an unpaid invoice from a business that is saying that he has faced unexpected costs (due to the job taking longer) and is wanting me to contribute to these costs, i dont beleive i should as i have charged an hourly rate for my services as agreed, and there was no contract in place.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: tried to speak to the owner of the business but he wont talk to me, i have sent a letter of action as immediate payment was agreed and the invoice has been outstanding since 19/8/20, have since had a letter from his solicitor saying that i a have not given enough time for them to answer, as i am not asking for an answer, just my invoice paid were do i stand?
JA: You end up paying for the answer if you are satisfied with it.
Customer: ok
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: self employed business owner,
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just were i stand legally and should i proceed to court or what is my next step

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Hi there. Can I just check, how much are you owed in total?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
163;3735

OK thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
hi originally i quoted 10 thousand and the customer said this is too much and would i work on an hourly rate to which i aggreed

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. At this stage you can still consider pursuing this on the way to court and sending a formal letter before action before initiating formal proceedings.

Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the debt in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim. Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
am i getting a phone call?

Just a quick clarification on phone calls – the pop-up offering you the chance to request one is automatic and I have no control over it. Therefore, if you request a call back there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else, would be available to fulfil it. At present, due to outside commitments, I cannot take calls but your request is open and visible to all other experts. If someone is available, they will accept it and call you, but if no one is free, then it will remain open until it is accepted or you decide to cancel it. In the meantime, you have already paid for a written response and that is the part I will continue helping you with.