How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2081
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I need a legal advise as I disposed freezer to a local waste

This answer was rated:

Hi I need a legal advise as I disposed freezer to a local waste tip and it wasnt right as is commercial now the council is prosecuting me and ask me to attend interview in a police station I think I would rather consult with lawyer
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Blackpool Lancashire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I just recieved the letter today that in the next 3 days I need to phone the police to arrange interview
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No really I think we shouldn't of done this but it was lack of knowledge that freezer is hazardous waste I just hope we dont get the highest penalty

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

When a person needs to be interviewed by police in relation to a criminal allegation, they can either be arrested and taken to a custody centre, or the police can invite them into a police station for a voluntary interview.

When a person attends an interview at a police station as a voluntary attender, they are there voluntarily and are free to leave at any time.

Anyone interviewed by police either under arrest or as a voluntary attender, no matter how serious or trivial the allegation, can have and use the services of the duty solicitor. That service is completely free. You can request the duty solicitor, and should inform the police officer who will carry our the interview of your request before you attend, so as to avoid any undue delays at the station.

When you and the solicitor arrive at the police station for the interview, the solicitor will speak with the officer carrying out the investigation, and obtain what is called advance disclosure. That means they will ask the police for details of the allegation and what evidence they have.

Next, the solicitor will speak privately with you and explain what they have been told and then obtain your instructions. The solicitor will then advice you on whether to answer questions in interview, or to submit a pre written statement or whether to go no comment.

Once the interview is over, the officer would normally say that the matter would still need to be investigated further and then a reviewing officer would check through everything. A file could then be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service if the police think there is evidence for a case. The CPS would then make a decision on whether to prosecute or not.

It is very possible that they would want to interview you in regards ***** ***** fly tipping or disposing of hazardous wast. Unfortunately, not knowing what you we’re doing would not be a defence. I would suggest arranging the interview and when you do, requestvthe services of the duty solicitor as outlined above.

If you accept in interview that you did discard the item at the tip, but were unaware of the risk, then it is possible that you could be given a formal caution and agree to cover any cost involved to remove and dispose of the item. Otherwise, you could be summons to court for the offence, where you would on conviction receive a fine. Fines ate based on a % of income.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello James,
Thank you for your quickly reply.
It's much appreciated.
Can I just add that today the council guy came to my private address and gave me the letter that we talked about. He wanted to speak with me so I invited him to come inside. He spoke a lot that he doesn't mind foreigners in UK and that he doesn't believe we still the British jobs. I found this extremely odd. Is this in his right to come personally in my house to hand the letter because I feel worried about his attitude. He also went to the address of the guy who was with me as I used his van to go the tip. He was questioning the neighbours as he didn't find the driver there.
Is there any possibility to have a phone call with you as I start thinking the council guy is using his position to harass us maybe because we are foreigners?
Many thanks,