Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Myself and my colleagues, who work for the post office have

Myself and my colleagues, who work for the post office have had to self isolate, due to one of my colleagues having tested positive for Covid 19.
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Now we should go back to work on 19th as per track and trace, but our bosses are saying go back to work tomorrow.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Our union aren't much help because they say it's ok to go back to work, as post office have put measures in place, even though 14 day self isolation isn't up

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

I'm sorry to hear of this. Please can you tell me what your specific question is in relation to this so that I can best advise? and how long ave you worked there for?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have worked for them for 8 years, but it's not only me, it's the whole branch

OK thank you, ***** ***** is your specific question please so that I can advise?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Is it a legal requirement to stay self isolating, or can they make us go back before time, as we were contacted by NHS track and trace, they say 14 days.post office say tomorrow

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. You can find the rules you are supposed to follow here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-test-and-trace-how-it-works#part-2-people-who-have-had-close-contact-with-someone-who-has-coronavirus

Specifically the following parts:

You must self-isolate for 14 days after you were in contact with the person who has tested positive for coronavirus. This is crucial to avoid unknowingly spreading the virus.

Self-isolation means staying at home and not going outside your home at any time. If you live with other people, they do not need to self-isolate, but they should avoid contact with you as far as possible and follow advice on hygiene.

So the key is that the 14 days start from the day you last had contact with the person who was infected. Until the 14 days are up you should not be leaving the house, let alone going to work so if you are still within these 14 days you must refuse to go into work no matter what measures the employer says they have taken.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.