Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I want to understand my rights as a tenant as my new

I want to understand my rights as a tenant as my new landlord has pulled out 4 days before us moving in. We have our offer accepted, references accepted and a confirmation that we're good to go ahead, but no signed contract
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Asked the landlord to reconsider because we seem to be in a binding agreement
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that we need to resolve this until 20th September
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Given there is acceptance of an offer, it appears there is a potential breach of contract against the landlord. However the landlord may argue that an unsigned contract means no contract exists. That said your counter will be that they or you accepted an offer and a contract would follow.

Do you understand what i have stated so far? if yes i will proceed to the next step.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I understand, thanks. Given that I have written proof that they received our holding deposit, that they accepted our tenancy application, and that a 3rd part referencing company confirmed that we are good candidates, I believe that it's enough to consider it a legally binding contract. Further to this, the lettings agent has sent us a contract sample, tenancy details (such as gas and elecrticity certificates) and confirmed on Monday 14th via messaging that we are good to move in on Sunday the 20th. I got the message that they will not be going ahead due to personal reasons this morning, after I asked for the contract yesterday. Alsong with my request, I also explained to them that since I'm a EU citizen and have a Lithuanian passport, they don't need to see an online settle status application until 30th June 2021. Our conract was supposed to be for 6 months, meaning that my settle status is irrelevant anyway. They pulled out after I sent the clarification that I will not be providing my settle status for now because I can prove my rights in the UK with my passport which they have a copy of. I feel discriminated against because of my nationality because I got rejected immediately after that email although they had my information before and everything was accepted.

It appears you could bring a breach of contract claim and what you will be looking for will be to put you back in the position as if the contract was not broken. That said I suggest you seek to legal representation for this matter because the claim and court process can be complex and expensive.