Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

Does a fine constitute a criminal record? I have been asked

Does a fine constitute a criminal record?
JA: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: I have been asked by the county court to pay a transport fine.
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: UK
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that is all. Is there an additional cost?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

Thank you for the question. What was the fine your received in relation to?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Hi! This was with regards ***** ***** being able to produce a ticket when asked by Metrolink inspectors in Manchester. There are several factors pertaining to this which I’m more than happy to explain if you feel it would be pertinent, of course. My only concern is that it’s come through the Manchester Accounts and Enforcement Unit and nobody is really able to give me a concrete answer.

If you could provide me with the intonation you have then I can have a look at the issue for you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I suppose that I am really just extremely anxious that this will constitute a criminal record/conviction and thus inhibit me from being hired elsewhere, travelling etc.

Can you give me more intonation about what you have been fined for as it may depend on how it is perceived. I can also advise on the merits of future employment travel etc. to help you.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Of course! I do appreciate your help. I was accompanying my mother (who tried to purchase tickets for us). The card machine would not accept the card despite there being more than sufficient funds. As this is quite a novel situation and we had little idea of what to do next (and also being in a great hurry), we decided to board the tram and alight two stops away, paying the appropriate fare of £1.80 per person. However, the ticket inspectors absolutely refused to let us do this and issued a fine to my mother and myself. We were told to appeal and sent on our way despite attempting to explain. Quite a few people were asked for their tickets but simply walked by and ignored the inspectors. I did email three times and advised that I was more than happy to pay the cost of the ticket but did not feel it was fair to pay such an inflated amount. After not hearing back, I then received a letter a few weeks ago advising me from Manchester Accounts and Enforcement Unit of the new sum. I have called and have been advised that it is now £370 and have stated that I will pay this in full by 1st October. However, I cannot receive a proper answer as to whether this will impact my record, if this counts as a criminal conviction etc and I do not know what to do.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I am sure you must hear this all the time but I am absolutely sick at heart with all of this and do not know if this will impact my abilities with jobs, careers etc.

Thank you that makes more sense to me now. I didn't quite understand it was a train ticket. To be honest with you, I would fight it and not just pay the money. You attempted to do the right thing but were not able to and so therefore you should not be punished. There are also grounds that this is not an enforceable amount they are asking for. However, to put your mind at ease, this would not constitute a criminal record, it is simply a civil matter. Even if it did then it is unlikely non-payment of a ticket would prohibit your from obtaining employment or impose any travel restrictions. It is entirely up to you if you wish to pay this, however, I would advise fighting it even if it means going to court yourself as this is not fair that you were being punished when you were unable to purchase a ticket in the first instance.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
That’s really great advice and you have been an absolute star. Thank you so much!

You are welcome and all the best.