How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35797
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I split up from an ex partner a couple of months ago. He

This answer was rated:

Hi, I split up from an ex partner a couple of months ago. He still has belongings of mine that I purchased and also money from our joint account that he invested in shares without my consent
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I wanted to put in a CCJ we weren’t married
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Middlesex he lives in London though
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will respond further within a few minutes

What is the value of the items and the money in the account

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Approximately £1000 for the value of the items and the money he took from the joint account to put into shares was £3500

I am sorry I cannot deal with a phone call this evening.

have you written a formal letter asking for the return of your belongings and the money?

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I haven’t, I have sent a text with a breakdown and he responded to it to say he won’t pay or give the items
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He claims he got an STD from me which a few doctors have said I couldn’t have given him and in a twisted way said that that’s why he’s not giving me my things
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
That’s what he replied in the text
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He has done a combination of things: he paid for the items using money he took out of the joint account. He took the money out and put it into shares, and finally he has belongings of mine that I paid for and has stored them in his mums garage

As a starting point you need to write a formal letter asking for the return of your belongs and list them.

Inform him that unless arrangements are made to enable you to collect them, undamaged, you will be applying to the court for am order that they are either returned or you are paid r the value of the items.

Send a separate letter regarding the funds and say if you do not receive your share within 14 days you will make a claim against him using Money Claim Online.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I’ve been told that the phone call has been accepted
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can I discuss this in a bit more detail on the phone?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Clare, is there any way someone can give me a call please
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I keep getting a notification saying the solicitor has confirmed the phone call request
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
But I haven’t received a phone call

I did not accept the request - one of my colleagues will call you, or I can arrange a refund/

What further information would you like