How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer21 Your Own Question
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2594
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Lawyer21 is online now

I would like to ask you for help with my case, my partner is

This answer was rated:

Hello, good evening, I would like to ask you for help with my case, my partner is a Spanish citizen for which I asked for a Family Permitt to come to England (I am Venezuelan). At this moment my visa is expired but I have my Residence Card (EU Pre-Settlement Scheme). I would like to bring my brother to live here with me but I don't know for which visa to apply.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I haven't field anything. I live in the UK.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you that is everything

Hi How can I help?

I will read your question and respond

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. if you need more details I can give them to you.

How old is your brother?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
he is 19 years old

It would be the EU national that would need to apply for your brother for a EEA Family permit. I will send you more information

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Great thank i will wait for it
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
sorry, thank you

An EEA Family Permit is a document issued to non-EEA nationals living outside the European Union who would like to travel to the UK with an EEA national family member or join an EEA national family member in the UK.

What are the main eligibility requirements for an EEA Family Permit?

In order to qualify for an EEA Family Permit you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:

  • You are a citizen of a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA);
  • Your family member is an EEA national (but normally not British);
  • You are related to the EEA national in one of the following ways:
    • you are the family member of the EEA national such as their husband, wife, civil or unmarried partner, parent, grandparent, child or grandchild; or
    • you are an extended family member of the EEA national, for example their unmarried partner in a durable relationship, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, cousin, etc.; or
    • you are the main carer of a British citizen or a child who is an EEA national;
  • Your EEA national family member is travelling with you to the UK; or
  • Your family member is in the UK and, if they have lived in the UK for more than three months, is exercising Treaty rights as a worker, self-employed person, student, self-sufficient person, or as a jobseeker.

What else do I need to know about the EEA Family Permit?

An EEA Family Permit is valid for six months. EEA Family Permit holders are free to leave and enter the UK as many times as they wish within that six month period.

There is no fee payable to apply for an EEA Family Permit and the application will be given priority by UK Visas & Immigration.

EU Settlement Scheme family permit

Apply for the EU Settlement Scheme family permit if you’re the close family member of:

  • an EEA or Swiss citizen and they have ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • an Irish citizen (they don’t need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, but must meet the eligibility criteria)
  • an eligible person of Northern Ireland (they must also meet the criteria for the EU Settlement Scheme, even though they cannot apply)
  • an eligible British citizen who also has EEA or Swiss citizenship, and who lived in the UK as an EEA or Swiss citizen before getting British citizenship

You must be a ‘close’ family member, such as a spouse, civil partner, dependent child or dependent parent.

Check if you’re eligible and apply for the EU Settlement Scheme family permit.

EEA family permit

Apply for the EEA family permit if you’re a close or extended family member of an EEA or Swiss citizen.

You can be a close or ‘extended’ family member - for example a brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, nephew or niece.

Check if you’re eligible and apply for the EEA family permit.

There are other ways you may be eligible for an EEA family permit, for example:

  • with a ‘derivative right of residence’ - you’re the carer of someone who has the right to be in the UK, the carer’s child, or the child of an EEA national who previously worked in the UK
  • if you can make a ‘Surinder Singh’ application after living in another EEA country with a British family member
  • with a ‘retained right of residence’ - you have the right to stay in the UK as the family member of an EEA national who has died, left the UK or is no longer your spouse or civil partner


Both family permits are free.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i have seen that on the government website but I still do not know which visa is the best for him. because I'm not married with him we live in a civil partnership so I do not know if that would affect it. also does it matter that he is my brother? not my partner's?

The Home Office would need to establish the relationship between the EU national and applicant.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How can he apply for it?

Is your brother dependant on you or your partner?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He is dependant on me, but i want him to come and find a job as well. i work full time as well as my partner but Its me the one who sent the money to my brother

So if you are married - this will then meet the definition as a brother in law in order for him to apply.

This way will fall in the definition as a close family member as opposed of extended family member.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
sorry, we are not married. we are in a civil partnership

So you can still apply and he would be treated as Brother in law. Your brother is similar to seen as his own brother - Link to apply

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Oh, alright thank you. And how should I apply? Should I just call The Home Office? should I make an appointmet
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Brilliant thank you very much

See above link in order to apply. Thank you

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
One last question

Before you go,

I would be grateful if you will give me a positive rating by clicking on the above stars and press submit. I would appreciate it

Sure with one more question

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
When I applied for my family permit I was a dependant of my partner, will that affect the fact that I want to apply for my brother?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Sure i will give you a positive rating, you have helped me a lot!

No - your partner is entitled to Sponsor again just like he did with you.

Thank you for your question today

Lawyer21 and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Great, thank you very much for your help!!