12826847

I have had two cars seized by police under evidence act

Hi. I have had two cars seized by police under evidence act 1984. Last week they where released. But the short of it is the recovery company want storage charges mounting to almost £200 per car. That's £400 in total. The police have paid storage since may so they haven't been short changed. I have contacted officer in charge of case and is of no help. My solicitors are not interested. Recovery company don't care. Both cars are taxed and motd. Can you help
JA: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?
Customer: Charged with possession of a fire arm and distribution
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: Slough
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Court date is rescheduled till end of September due to co accused delaying defence

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Why were they seized please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Under the Police and evidence act 1984

Well, yes of course, but for what reason?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thinking back. I was in custody and my home was being searched under warrant.
At no time did any officer mention that my cars where going to be seized. They seized other items like laptops tablets phones.
No reason was given and no documentation left to confirm they had taken them. I found out from the neighbours that the police took them

What were you arrested for?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Two counts of possession of firearm and two counts of distribution of firearm

Thanks for the information

Proceeding on the basis thatthis vehicle was seized for an evidential reason rather than because it wasunlawful per se that I cannot think of any reason that they would be entitledto charge impound fees.

They have rights of seizureobviously that are wide ranging but I cannot see a basis to render you liable inthese circumstances.

That said, you may need topay and then reclaim as they just will not release it if you do not.

Hopefully, Ihave answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. Ifanything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. Inthe meantime, thank you once again for using our services.