How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15436
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

My husband works for a global oil company and has just been

This answer was rated:

My husband works for a global oil company and has just been promoted to VP/global head of function in recent weeks. He has also been told that when he is not actually travelling to visit his new teams, he will continue to work from home for the continued longterm future as part of the company’s strategy post covid. As we live in an expensive part of of southern part of England, with a sizeable mortgage - and sizeable chuck of equity - we are wondering whether we can move to France, where we could be mortgage free, have some land and savings and my husband could continue to work from home, travel around the world via Paris, and our children near 13 and 16) can finish school on line. [They enjoyed home school during lockdown, especially as one is especially gifted and has Aspergers, so completing GCSEs/A Levels is not an issue]. I am working on a PhD via distance learning in creative writing and writing a novel, so again have no ties to the UK. The issues are over employment rights and whether we can request to be paid in France 9 we would not expect an expat relocation package) but also, post Brexit what visas and writes to work and purchase property would we have?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: sorry - we currently live in the UK, are all UK passport holders and would like to move to France. He is on a UK contract with his employer. We have enough monery to buy a property in France and pay fees without needing a mortgage, so no loans required.
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: None so far.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No


Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and assisting you with your question today.

You have two questions here.

Firstly, can your husband work from France? The sime answer is possibly. It all.depends on his contra t and where it states his place of work to be.If he is required to be in the UK and attend sites in the UK, then maybe not.

If his location is not stipulated, then maybe yes. The best thing he could do is speak with the employer and raise the question with them. He would not want go have any ambiguity and them decide to move to France only to be told he should be based in the UK.

Secondly, what I'll happen post Brexit. As any other national of an EU state coming to the UK, you will.need the relevant visas to enable you to settle in France. If you leave before 31st December, you would be ae to go to France and register before the end of the year.

I hope this answers your questions.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you. Thought this was the case!

It's a pleasure.

Good luck

INC Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you