Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

I book for an holiday in London online and paid with my card

Hello, I book for an holiday in London online and paid with my card and after the reservation the host alleged I damage the property and arbitrarily debit my card for £500 for an alleged damage of £1500. Apparently my card was not funded to £1500 at time of debit. I am certain I did no such damage and the host has remained mute after all my email and calls. How do I recover my £500 or it there an ombudsman I can report to
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: I am in the United Kingdom and No
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: written emails requesting for refund and calls to host
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

I suggest you undertake the following steps to recover your £500

Draft a letter to the person and at the top of the letter put the following words in big bold print LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Within the letter describe why the amount in question is owed to you.

The letter needs to demand payment within 14 days and say that if he does not pay you, you will issue county court proceedings against them. Further in the letter inform the person that if court proceedings are commenced you will seek interest on the amount owed.

Send the letter via post(recorded delivery and email too)

Hopefully the letter will compel a response from the debtor very quickly.

Do you understand what i have stated so far if yes i will provide a template letter and the next steps?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I understand this and will attempt to do this. Grateful for a template. But can I ask, is there no online dispute resolution I can use to resolve this

Please see attached the template for your consideration.

The only online dispute is via the courts but before you commence court action online using the site below you will need to send the letter before action.

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

I hope i have clarified the position, if not please let me know.

However if i have clarified the position, please before you leave please leave a positive rating as this will help improve the service provided in future.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
you have clarified this. One more question before and I send letter and then depending on their response, may call to get more help. How long is the £44 for ?the question is that can I claim monies additional money in the letter for compensation for the distress and disappointment we suffered during the stay as a result of some complaints with the property namely- (i) delayed check in (ii) the cleanliness issues (iii) the traumatic effect of the malfunctioned fire alarm (iv) the erratic wi-fi functionality.Thanks