Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I have a question about furlough with the company I'm

Hi I have a question about furlough with the company I'm employed under. Im a 20 year old apprentice who has been furlough since 15 June as my boss wanted us to focus on doing college work. However, my boss is telling us to come to work and do college work at work.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Since yesterday though he decided to enforce us to come in 8-4:30 while we are still on furelough and he just said to me if im late again as i arrived at 8:10 i would be in trouble. Can he tell me when I can come in when I am on furelough. Also meeting room where the college work is happening does not have a 1 meter seperation space for socal distancing.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Im in the 2nd year of my apprenticeship. I have not taken legal advice as yet. I do not belong in a union and we do not have access to the companies HR as we don't know who he uses
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this moment
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm have you spoken to anyone else about this matter?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have spoken to other members of staff, my trainer/ supervisor however as we don't have access to HR I don't know my legal position. Its shaken us as we are trying to get college work done but it just seems that he wants to control the college matter and try and work around the furelough scheme
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Was going to talk to the college representitive today but the meeting was cancelled. However whenever we have told them about the company side of the apprenticeship they have not done anything about it. Im an apprentice that is studying under Peterborough Reginal College

Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. You should not be at work if you are furloughed and you will need to report his actions to HMRC who may investigate the matter further. I hope this helps. I would appreciate if you can please give me a five star rating for answering your question today, top right corner of your screen. I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you and I will do that

No problem and all the best. I would appreciate if you can please give me a five star rating for answering your question today, top right corner of your screen. I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter.