How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 18348
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have an issue with a bailiff for a magistrate court fine,

This answer was rated:

Hi I have an issue with a bailiff for a magistrate court fine,
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: england
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have been trying to make a statutory declaration to the court but I have had no response from the courts,
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: think that covers it
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
The Baliff posted a notice through my parents door, an address I've not lived at for well over a decade, chasing a debt to HMCTS historic debt division, I contacted that department to find out what was going on,
The debt is from a driving offence from 2014 but my details on their records were wrong, I am happy to arrange payment for the original fine but I'm not paying for someone else's mistake, the original fine is £470, the bailiff wants £780.The person i spoke to from the historic debt department advised me to make a statutory declaration to the court, I have called and emailed multiple times to arrange this but had no response, I have been contacted by phone by the bailiff and \i am now unsure of the best course of actionany help will be much appreciated
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

It sounds like you have an old fine which went to a different address to the one you now live at.

You need to apply to the court which imposed the fine and ask that it is set aside.

The court may list it for hearing. But at that hearing you can say you didn’t know about this.

They can then set it aside. Its known as. Asking a statutory declaration. If accepted then the whole matter is set aside.

If it’s re prosecuted, you can enter a plea at that stage. But call the court and make the application.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not might I invite you to leave me a positive rating before you go, this ensures the site credits me for the time spent answering your question.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ive been trying to get a response from the court for a month or so, do you know of any other route to halt the collection guy before any more money is added to his bill

Sadly only the court can overturn it. I would call and email.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have called and emailed multiple times, guess I'll just have to wait and seeMany thanks for your help

Yes. Can I assist with anything else today?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No you've been helpful, thankyou

All the best. If I could invite you to give me a positive rating before you go today by clicking the button at the top of the screen, so the site credits me for the time spent. I am only paid when you rate. if you need further help please click reply. Thanks in advance.