How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1914
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I’m on ESA and pips I have a partner that doesn’t live with

This answer was rated:

I’m on ESA and pips I have a partner that doesn’t live with me but she gives me money as I’m an alcoholic after a rape 5 years ago is it classed as a gift
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I was in England but just moved to wales
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I asked a friend to ask the council and she said it was classed as gifts but I want to know for sure
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat. So, please ignore any phone call request pop-up,they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

I will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience.

your partner can confirm if she is giving you the money as a gift and not as a Loan , and she would not claim back that money from you at a later stage.

to be sure , you can ask your partner if she can give you in writing that all payments given you as a gift and she would not try to recover it back from you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry my question was can I get into trouble from taking the money from ESA ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don’t want to go to prison

No, if your partner is voluntarily helping you with money at times.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She gives me a 100 a week

How much ESA you gets depend on, your age and whether you’re able to get back into work.Neither your or your partner’s savings or income will affect how much ESA you’re paid.

Vineet S and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you very much

Many thanks