MarianC
MarianC, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109551472

I have a house in France joint owned with my husband, we are

I have a house in France joint owned with my husband, we are now separated and he has given me a signed letter giving me the house. Would this letter be sufficient in in UK law so that I am the sole owner?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In the uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none so far
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My husband had loaned his friend £20,000 from a joint account prior to the separation, when we separated the agreement was that he would get the full £20k back and I would own the house in France.

Hello, you would need your name on the Title Document for the French property to prove legal ownership.

Marian

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
As I have said in my original message, the house is jointly owned, both of our names appear on the title document, however he gave me the house in writing in a letter. Would the signed letter stand up in court that he gave me the house? He has already been repaid the £20,000 from his friend.

Hello no, he needs to pass legal title to you under French law, so by a French Notaire