How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70428
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Hin,. i have been suspended from work due to DVLA messing up

This answer was rated:

JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: hi my name is***** i have been suspended from work due to DVLA messing up my driving licence .they missed out catorgry D which i need as im a bus driver. i have tried phoning & sent email but no reply. my employers are not paying me untill my licence is corrected. DVLA have addmited its their error .can i claim back loss of earnings.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Hi there. Can I just check, how long have you had your licence? and how long have you worked for this employer?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i have had my pcv licence since july 93. this is when i started with my employers.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
can i claim back the fee of £44
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok ,what do you need to know?

Thank you. You can try claiming for lost wages but it won’t necessarily be easy. For example, DVLA may not have been able to predict that this will result in your pay being stopped so there is never a guarantee that you will be successful in claiming back the missed pay, or even part of it.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the compensation in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thank you for your help.

You are most welcome and all the best

Ben Jones and 6 other Law Specialists are ready to help you