Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I have a question about tennants in common/ joint tennants.

JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England It's complicated though. Mum dies leaning no will 10 years ago. The property is still registered to her on land registry.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: *dies Died I have letters of representation
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There are 4 sisters, one still living in the house and refusing to move.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm what is your question?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
The house is still registered to my Mum who died 10 years ago leaving no will. There are 4 of us daughters to inherit it. One of my sisters still lives there and will not agree to sell. What steps do I need to take to be registered as a tenant in common before starting legal proceedings to try and force the sale of the house?

Hi, thank you for your message. You will need to contact the land registry and make an application with them. You can find more information on the forms and where to send the forms here: https://www.gov.uk/update-property-records-someone-dies

I hope this helps. I would appreciate if you can please give me a five star rating for answering your question today, top right corner of your screen. I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter.