Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My partner works for an employer who is now selling the

Hello. My partner works for an employer who is now selling the remainder of his leease ee
JA: Has your partner discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I'm sorry. There aren't enough character spaces to describe the problem. He's been asked to sign a deed giving details of the past use of the business which are not true. It's past records and intellectual property, I suppose. But the outgoing lessee has lied about the business.
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: No, my partner is one of two employees. Its a touring caravan site and fisheries.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My partner is unwilling to sign anything which will be fraudulent ultimately as he doesn't know whether it's for the use of new lessees. He wants to know the ramifications of his signing something he knows to be falsely representing the business's history.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Can I just check, why has your partner been chosen to sign the deed? and how long has he worked there for?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Hello Ben. Thank you.
He's worked there for over ten years, longer than the present leaseholder has been there.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
OK payment made. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. He should certainly not sign anything which he knows is untrue or misleading. The reason is that the new lessee may try and hold him personally liable for the statements he has made by agreeing to that and attaching his signature to it. If there are untruths within that statement, let the current employer take full liability for these by signing it themselves or finding someone else to do it. It is not worth the risk in the circumstances.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.