How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4180
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

My neighbour wants to change his boundary line and has had a

This answer was rated:

My neighbour wants to change his boundary line and has had a surveyor show different boundary lines to that of land registry .he had now put a metal sight line on his property which extends into my side passageway. Advice please.
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: The only paper work was months ago being these surveyors boundary lines.
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: The side passage is on my land and by trying to redraw the boundary he is laying claim to part of my access to my rear garden.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What can I do to prevent him carrying out a boundary change?

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience. I am reviewing your question now for you.

The boundary lines on the titles plans with the Land Registry will not be accurate and can not be relied on to prove where the actual boundary lies because the maps are not drawn to scale. Surveyors have the role of carrying out a site visit and looking at all the conveyance documents from the outset to draw plans to scale that can be relied on when a dispute arises. It is unfortunate that your neighbour did not seek to agree with you first to jointly instruct a surveyor because this way you would be certain his measurements were done without bias. If you know that what he is now trying to take is your land then you can apply for an injunction order against your neighbour to stop them from building a wall or putting up anything to mark their proposed boundary. You would look to ask the surveyor questions to determine how they have decided on the new line. You may wish to engage a solicitor if you do not feel confident to question the neighbour. I would also say that check your Home Insurance Policy because this will normally provide insurance cover for a dispute of this nature and would take away the worry of solicitor costs. I hope this helps and all the best

SolicitorRM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Many thanks . I will check my home insurance.