How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1841
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I am looking to take joint-full custody of my child, nothing

This answer was rated:

I am looking to take joint-full custody of my child
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: nothing as of yet, just comparing prices
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: i live in london but my ex spouse is from southampton
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing yet
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm have you spoken to anyone else about this matter? This is an email service so there may be a delay on my answer but I will answer your question here.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi there, this is on me anyway. I have spoken to Monan Gozzett Solicitors.
Hi, thank you for your message.
I would advise you to seek a child arrangement court order such an order can set out who looks after the child and when. Such an order once made can be enforced if it is breached. In order to do this, you will need to arrange for and attend a mediation appointment with your ex first to see if an order can be agreed. Even if you and your ex end up having to go to court to sort out the differences, you will normally need to prove that you’ve been to a mediation information and assessment meeting (MIAM). This is an introductory meeting to explain what mediation is and how it might help you. If your ex doesn't want to see a mediator, you should go to the MIAM on your own. You’ll then be able to prove you’ve tried mediation if you later want to go court. You can’t force your ex to go to mediation. In order to find a mediator you can use this link on the Family Mediation Council website here:
You’ll normally have to pay about £30 for an MIAM, although sometimes this first meeting is free. Follow-up sessions usually cost you and your ex about £80 each - most people need to go to 3 or 4.
The cost of mediation varies depending on where you live. Phone around to find the best price, but bear in mind the cheapest might not be the best.
If the MIAM does not work and you not able to agree to mediation you will need to go to court. This will require you to fill out form C100 which can be found here:
You can find guidance on filling out the application here:
Send the original form and 3 copies of it to the nearest court that deals with children, you can find your nearest court here:
The application will cost £215. If you want to find a solicitor to assist with this process and represent you at the hearing you can find a solicitor using the Law Society find a solicitor search option here: You can search by town or postcode to find one near you, as well as area of law in this case family law.
I hope this helps. I would appreciate if you can please give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner of your screen. I wish you all the best in this matter.
Joy Nicholas and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** way I never realised I was getting charged £44 for the phone call and since I have not yet received the call can I kindly ask off and get a refund?