MarianC
MarianC, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109551472

We just started a short term tenancy in London. We asked the

We just started a short term tenancy in London. We asked the landlord for permission to install a shower curtain (no hacking / drilling) for the family bath. They refused stating that the wall against the bathtub isn’t designed for showering. Not tiled. We offered to repaint the wall with waterproof paint & clearly stated this was only to accommodate the occasional guest who would be using the family bath. Can they withhold consent unreasonably?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: None other than writing to the landlord’s property agent
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: CR0 2FJ
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Basically, what’s our remedy?

Good afternoon

It will depend entirely on the terms of your contract but the landlord is allowed to refuse consent to works/alterations/decorations.

Do you have a copy of your tenancy agreement and i will take a look?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Will share in a moment

I am unable to take a call at the moment but can do this evening if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
File attached (162524Q)
If you refer to clause 4.2.2, it does say not to make alterations without consent.The wording of the clause does not say 'consent not to be unreasonably withheld' so unfortunately, the landlord is able to outright refuse if he so wishes.Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Pls call my mobile between 7-8pm UK time. Thanks. I’m on conf calls currently. Apologies if I couldn’t take your calls.

Thank you, ***** ***** only able to take calls through the Just Answer site, so you would need to request a call later on this evening. I am not sure where this might be on your own dashboard.