Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I subscribed to a dating website called C-date owned by

Hello.I subscribed to a dating website called C-date owned by interdate S. A. who are based in Luxembourg.
I cancelled my subscription by post (they only allow cancellations by post or fax). I did this within a triel period, so am not expecting to be charged.After a couple of weeks, I received an email demanding £120. I replied to the email stating that this would not be paid as I cancelled the reason I cancelled is because it is a scam site. They still tried to take funds from me, but luckily, my bank blocked this.I have now received a postal letter from a debt collection agency based in Mainz, Germany. Now they are asking for the initial sum, plus added fees for the collection agency.I am not prepared to pay and have stressed this to the original company (without reply). I am a UK citizen and am wondering what powers either the dating site or the debt collection agency actually have.Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

How much extra has been added to the original amount? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Ben, thanks for the swift response.
The original invoice in eur was 131,66
It is now 186,91
Which broken down, is the original invoice plus 1,05 interest, 11,00 incidental expenses before legal action is taken & finally 43,20 in collection fees.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
They have given me a date of 17/09/20 to pay before they begin additional action which will incur additional costs

Thank you. As they are based abroad they have no automatic jurisdiction to pursue you in this country. They would have to make a claim in their local courts (where you will not have to answer as you have no interests or assets in that country). They can however try and transfer that judgment from the foreign court to the UK courts and then try and enforce it over here. However, that is not an easy process and not that cheap either. In my experience, such companies would make threats and demands, hoping that you just pay up, but would rarely go as far as claiming in court and then also transferring the judgment across jurisdictions. If it was me, I would ignore them, but I cannot tell you which option to choose – as long as you are aware of what could happen, that will hopefully help you in making a decision for yourself.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
That's very much understood. Thanks very much for your assistance and quick responses.

You are most welcome and all the best