JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have put in a claim to Insure and Go travel ins. Our

Hi, I have put in a claim to Insure and Go travel ins. Our holiday in March was cancelled by Jet 2 ,due to Covid. Jet sent me the money to my bank account that week, and i shared it with the 4 others who were supposed to travel with me. I paid with the same card to the Hotel in Spain, and they said it was non refundable, had to cancel the hotel as we had no flights. I then submitted a claim for the 5 of us to Insure and Go, I thought because I paid it with my card, that I would get the refund to share with the 4 others. I got my portion of the bill, but Insure and Go says the other 4 have to claim their own ins. Is this correct,. I do appreciate your time. thanks Grace Lightbody
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: We paid for the flights and the holiday in AUg 2019, we were going to Malaga in Spain.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have been intouch with Insure and Go and I gave them all the information, they have paid out my portion of the bill£94.00, b ut not the balance of the £746.00 I paid with the same card in Aigust, I gave them all the proof of the flightsd and hotel and proof that I paid the hotel, sorry if this is a bit of a long story
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I dont think so, thanks

Hello, this is Jim, thanks for the question.

Yes, so if you paid for the trip with your card for 5 of you, you are the claimant and in contract law, you are owed the full sum back. The others do not need to make a claim as you paid with your card. If the other people had their own insurance, they could claim back the money they paid but it doesn't sound like the case to me - you paid with your card, not them.

If you booked by credit card then you can make a claim - you can contact the card provider and ask for a refund under S.75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 - as they are jointly liable if you do not get the service you paid for. You can claim a full refund even if you only paid for part of the trip with the credit card as long as £100 or more was spent.

If the insurer is not willing to pay you back in full, you could make a complaint to the insurer, wait for their final response, then go to the Ombudsman (https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain) though this will take several weeks if not months. Bear in mind if a flight cancels, you are due a refund from the airline - as per the European Commissions's recent announcement. It is the same with a hotel too.

If the insurer insists the other people need to claim, it may be quicker than going through the complaints procedure - but to answer your question, as above - no. I disagree with the insurer.
I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any follow up questions.

Have a good evening,

Jim

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
thank you very much for all your help, it was a debit card I paid with, does that make a difference?

Yes, it does though your bank could attempt a charge back of the funds within 120 days of your payment. You would need to ring the bank and ask if they can help - if that fails then the insurer could pay the claim for you. A credit card is useful as the money is insured in effect, and you only need to pay £100 for the full cost of the trip to be covered by the consumer credit law.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
thank you once again,

No problem, glad it helped, have a good evening.