How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35997
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am looking for advice about my divorce, no, we will be

This answer was rated:

i am looking for advice about my divorce
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no, we will be looking to go to mediation
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: but i wanted to have separate legal counsel
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i was married in Zimbabwe

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will respond further within a few minutes

What would you like to know?

Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been married for almost 7 years. My partner and i want a divorce through mediation but want separate legal counsel. We were married in Zimbabwe but have lived in the UK for 6 years now. we have no children, he earns 13 times what i earn annually. And want to understand how i will go about financial discussions in mediation, what is a reasonable place to start negotiations.


In the UK the actual termination of the marriage and dealing with the financial issues are not necessarily the same process.

So far as the divorce is concerned unless you wish to simply live apart for two years then one of you will have to divorce the other on the basis of Unreasonable Behaviour or Adultery.

With regard to the financial side you can find a Local Family Mediator on the site

Yours is a Relationship on the shorter side of medium length which means that the division of the family assets may not be 50/50 depending on where the assets came from, but your housing needs will be seen as important.

As he earns so much more than you a period of spouse maintenance will be appropriate - but it will be time limited. Such as three years to retrain or something similar

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details