How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 78447
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Jo C. I hope you are well. I had a court date for a drink

This answer was rated:

Hi Jo C.I hope you are well.I had a court date for a drink driving offence which happened in May. It has been adjourned 4 times due to impacts of Covid-19. I have not received a letter since it was last adjourned to august.
I found out the court date was on the 10th September but I did not receive a letter, hence my call to find out when it will be.I didn’t ask what to do over the phone as I wanted to seek advice on what to do. I was prepared to attend and plea guilty but with some mitigating factors.Can you advise of the best course of action to take now to get this re arranged to it doesn’t appear in crown court.Many thanks

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you

So this has actually been to court on the 10th?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I spoke with them today and the date was 10th sept 2020. The last 3 dates were on the 17th. I had thought I would of received a letter stating prior but double checked today before tomorrow encase the date remained the 17th as the court has now re opened

Thank you for the information.
If you are saying you did not receive the summons then you do have the option to make a
statutory declaration to the court to the effect you didn’t get it. If that is accepted then the
conviction will be removed but you may be prosecuted again.
You have to attend court to do that though. You might want to call in advance as some
magistrates courts have specific dates upon which they will do that.
If you are saying you didn’t get the S172 notice then you couldn’t name the driver so you do
have a defence to that charge but you would have to argue it in court.
If you are charged with speeding in default then you could offer to plead guilty to that if
indeed you were the driver.
Do bear in mind that if you give false evidence on oath the consequences are way more
serious than any of these substantive offences would be.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If
anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime,
thank you once again for using our services.


Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you Jo.
That helps. It’s a uk magistrates and was due to driving over the alcohol limit.If I call the court tomorrow to discuss what you mentioned is it wise I hire a solicitor for this?
Thanks again