Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

Is there any legislation or authority I can report a

Is there any legislation or authority I can report a housemate bumping my door and calling me insults out of the blue?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I stayed in my room and didn´t answer or say anyting
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: is the consultation free?

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

From the circumstances provided Section 1 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 states harrasment is an unwanted conduct designed to cause the victim alarm or distress. Therefore it appears the conduct you are a victim of can be deemed harrasment.

Do you understand what I have stated so far? If yes i will provide a suggested step to undertake.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
thank you Anthony.

I suggest you contact the police because harrasment is a criminal offence. The police can step in to resolve this matter.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I am afraid the housemate is still awake and can easily overhear my conversation. I would rather speak tomorrow morning from work where I feel safer.

Please ignore the automated call request unless you wish to speak to me and if so i am happy to talk tomorrow.

If the police are unable to assist at the moment I suggest you apply to the local county court for a civil injunction. This is a court remedy that orders the man to stop such conduct and failing to do so can amount to a criminal offence.

However, before you do this, send the neighbour a cease and desist letter to warn him of your intentions unless he stops.

Please give the neighbour 14 days to stop the conduct.

You can obtain a “cease and desist” letter template from www.lawdepot.co.uk. That said you can a draft letter by your self too but ensure you make it known it is a cease and desist letter and he stops the conduct(ensure you spell out the conduct too) in question. Further it will be wise to remind him that his conducts falls within the definition given within Section 1 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 which is as unwanted conduct designed to cause the victim alarm or distress”. Hopefully the letter may well be enough to stop the conduct as an injunction is a serious legal remedy.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know.

However if i have clarified the position please before you leave JA today please leave a positive rating for the assistance provided as this will help improve the service given in future.

Please note rating does not come at any extra costs.

Thanks and stay safe

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Shall I tell the agency? The housemate and I both hired the room through the same agency

You can do so as they may evict him for such conduct.