Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My university cancelled my masters 3 days after the official

My university cancelled my masters 3 days after the official start day due to "unforeseen circumstances". I already moved to cambridge and paid my accommodation (on a contract). Can I request compensation?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cambridge
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

It sounds as if you have an issue with the university cancelling the contract when you have already moved.

I would suggest firstly to check the contract to sea it allow them to cancel. That is the starting point

If not, then need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not might I invite you to leave me a positive rating before you go, this ensures the site credits me for the time spent answering your question.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Jamie, thanks for your help! I'll look into it

Pleasure. Can I assist with anything else today?