Lawry
Lawry, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109896623

I moved into my property rented from the council December

Customer Question

Hello, i moved into my property rented from the council December 2019, since moving in ive had reoccurring problems, I had the council out on many occasions to check the property only for them to tell me theres nothing wrong. So im currently withholding my rent until everything is resolved. However they have contacted me today telling me that I need to seek legal advice because withholding my rent(in a savings account) is not aloud
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No? Its all been conversations over the phone, except a written letter that I emailed across to them in February. But they misplaced or in other words lost it
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Stamford Lincolnshire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a 10 month old son that lives with me in the property. The living room ceiling is coming away from the support beams and is bowing. I had to get my step dad to make me a loft hatch because the council never sorted it, the bathroom extractor fan has no pull cord to turn it on or off so its currently on everytime I turn my bathroom light on, its ridiculously loud and id appreciate one so I can hear my son if im in the bathroom. My kitchen ceiling has damp/water marks all over it and its getting worse over time. My kitchen skirting boards are rotting, but the council told me that the paint was just chipping away, its making me depressed living in this house, the more work and money I put into it the more that seems to go wrong. all I want is for the council to amend all of the issues then ill happily pay my rent arrears
Expert:  Lawry replied 11 days ago.

Your landlord is responsible for maintaining and repairing the faults mentioned within a reasonable time.

However, you are not allowed to withhold rent until the issue s resolved.

You can claim compensation for the damage and distress caused to you but you should not refuse to pay rent.

You should keep a log of all the issues and copies of any receipts for expenses incurred by you to claim once the problems have been sorted out.