12826847

I was put into custody yesterday under suspicion of Section

Customer Question

Hi. I was put into custody yesterday under suspicion of Section 18 - wounding with intent. After police checked the CCTV, they let me go as I wasn't involved in the incident. However, they kept my private belongings including my mobile phone and clothes because there is an investigation ongoing. If I wasn't involved in the incident and there is insufficient evidence to proceed against me, why haven't they returned by stuff back to me?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Worksop Nottinghamshire, s80 2lq
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I tried calling the police station asking when they will return my stuff to me.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like the lawyer to let me know what I need to do to get my stuff back, as I am innocent and have not done anything wrong, therefore I don't understand why my private stuff has been kept from me.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 days ago.

what belongings please?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 8 days ago.

Without the information I asked for I can onlygive you a general answer but I hope this helps.

I'm afraid that you are overstating yourposition. They haven't found that you weren't involved in the incident and theyhaven't just let you go.

Almost certainly what they have done isrelease you under investigation which is not the same thing as a finding theywill take no action against you at all

In any event, even if they have taken nofurther action against you, they are entitled to seize property if they thinkit is relevant or may be relevant to the investigation of another although thatisn't what happened looking at the items in question.

You do have the option to bring a claimpursuant to the police property act for the recovery of your property but Iwouldn't advise it because it will lead to costs and I can see immediately thatthere is no basis for it yet. That is not to say that you will not recover yourproperty in the long run as they will have to make a decision in the end but theyhave not yet

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a waythat is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will bemore than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once againfor using our services.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

Just like with an appointment inreal life, or a job interview, a follow up is good practice: "Thank youagain for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarifyanything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!” Or if thecustomer is already satisfied: “I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day.