How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7007
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I was married for 27 years and we then divorced over his

Customer Question

I was married for 27 years and we then divorced over his adultry we started a car body shop he was a sole trader I helped financially and also worked there as well as holding a full time job after 5 years I started working there full time doing all sorts as well as all office work when we divorced he gave me £9000 which was money from him not the garage Now he is married again she is working there but he’s going to sell business and move away with her is there anyway I can make a claim?.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no we divorced online
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  plclegal replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I’m sorry that you are going through this.

Can you confirm whether your agreement which gave you £9000 was recorded in a court order - as part of a clean break or not?

I note he has remarried - have you also remarried?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
There’s was no court order and no I haven’t been with anyone since divorce
Expert:  plclegal replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for confirming.

If there has not been a financial order form the court, and you have not remarried, then it may be possible to request this now.

The court would look at the circumstances at the time, the circumstances now, and make an assessment as to whether the amount you received was fair or not in all the circumstances.

It could also look at private pensions if this was something not taken into consideration when you divorced.

In order to start this process though, you need to attend (or at least attempt) mediation with your ex husband.

You can find a link to a national mediation service here:

Following mediation, you would then make the application to court on this form:

I hope this assists?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If you have specific questions arising from my response, let me know and I’ll happily clarify for you.

In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Please be aware that my answer is based strictly upon the information you have given me and is provided by way of general advice.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will be happy to reply because the thread remains open for you.

I am always happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the thread.

Thank you for your trust in our service.

Best wishes,


Expert:  plclegal replied 8 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter