JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have a payment in limbo of £149 + in PayPal account I

Customer Question

Hi I have a payment in limbo of £149 + in PayPal account I cancelled the order and it seems I have another account that’s new to me I can’t get anyone to explain this to me I’ve been trying for a week two or three times a day when I finally get past the automated voice and a phone ring it stopped again with ther automated voice telling It not available and I’m cut off since PayPal downloaded a new app my accounts disappeared and there’s a new one I didn’t open showing three item back in August in short my money is with PayPal but I can’t access my account I hope this makes sense Thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I’m in Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: When I noticed the new app had knocked my account out I’ve tried to speak to someone about it but I can’t get talking to a human I found out about the second account via the automated voice I’m so frustrated I cancelled my new phone from 02 after I paid for it via PayPal then I was asked for my bank details and a new password ***** security reason I refused to give them bc PayPal have my details that’s the whole idea of PayPal the money hasn’t gone to o2 it’s still with PayPal but is not showing like loads of other transactions since the new app so I can’t get to speak to anyone to help me sort this out it’s down to them I’ve text them on numerous occasions via help and contact us even resolution centre and it’s the bc my problem isn’t listed I can’t get help
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I’ve covered it I’m just not very good at explaining It is PayPal responsibility
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 15 days ago.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How much more time do you need if you are a genuine legal adviser it’s a case of refunding my money the legality is straightforward regards MMc
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Hi, this is Jim, thank you for the question - I will resolve this for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue. You do have a case against PayPal. Their head office is based in Luxembourg, so you can use the European Small Claim procedure to pursue them. It is an easy to use paper-based claim, no hearing is required.

You should email PayPal customer services, tell them you want a refund within 14 days, failing which you will take them to court. The email address: *****@******.***
You can use the European Small Claims procedure in order to claim. This allows for cross border claims of up to 5,000 euro in value. This is available for you to use until the end of this year. And existing claims will be unaffected once EU rules no longer apply to the UK.

Assuming they do not respond or they do and refuse to pay, you need to fill in the attached Form A and attach any evidence you wish to rely upon to your local civil court office in Scotland. The address for PayPal (to use in the attached form) :

PayPal Europe S.a.r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
5th Floor, 22 - 24
Boulevard Royal
L-2449
LUXEMBOURG

The form asks for your bank details and the court issue fee will be deducted but added to your claim sum.

You can also access that form here: https://e-justice.europa.eu/content_small_claims-42-en.do

The court will then serve the form on the company who then has 30 days to respond. The court will consider the response and give judgment on the claim (or if further details are required the court will write to either party). They may hold an oral hearing (by telephone if the court has the facilities - which most do have) but with the facts of this case it is unlikely as it should be capable of being dealt with on paper. If you win you get a certificate against the company which means they must pay your claim.

Here is a useful guide if you would like to read more about the above : https://www.europe-consommateurs.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/eu-consommateurs/PDFs/PDF_EN/small_claim.pdf

I hope this helps and answers the question - please feel free to ask me anything else.

Have a good day,
Jim

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you Jim you have been very helpful and informative I’ll take your advice and try and contact PayPal again I’ve used them for years but they seem to have lost my account once my money is back into my account I’m going to close the ‘new’ account .. thanks again good luck stay safe ������������������������������
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

No problem at all, glad I have helped you here - have a great day.
Jim