Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I purchased 3 tickets in January for an event which was

Customer Question

I purchased 3 tickets in January for an event which was postponed due to covid from 22 july t0 23rd November, the event has now been postponed a second time until July 2021 and they have stated no refunds will be given you can have vouchers for other events they hold in the next 2 years is this right or can I demand a refund the tickets cost £155 each
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have emailed and asked for a refund as they have already had my money for 10 months and failed to hold the event
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had a response Tickets are non-transferable. Tickets are non-refundable unless the event is cancelled. For postponements in relation to COVID 19 and ongoing restrictions, tickets will not be refunded but automatically transfered to the next advertised date, or at ticket holders request vouchers will be issued that can be used on any Showmasters event until Dec 2022, after which the process will be reviewed in light of the COVID-19 situation at that time.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hi there. Can I just check, how did you pay for the tickets?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
By debit card
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No actually on checking it was by credit card
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Are you still connected
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation. If the event was cancelled then the matter will be relatively straightforward and you would be entitled to expect a full refund for your tickets.

If the event has been rescheduled instead, your rights will depend on whether you are genuinely unable to attend, or simply choose not to. If you can provide proof as to why you cannot attend, such as a clash with other arrangements already in place, you can always supply evidence to prove that and request a refund. You should not be forced to accept vouchers for a different event, unless you want to.

If you can show that you are unable to attend the new date and the ticket seller is refusing to refund you, then you may have to consider taking this further more formally, such as by claiming compensation for the value of the tickets.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can potentially do so by making a court claim. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for compensation. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim. There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The other side will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the other side that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial payment of the amount sought in the claim.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

I hope that your query has been answered to your satisfaction. I just wanted to take this opportunity to remind you that if you needed any further clarification with this query, you should not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to help. For now, thank you for using our services.