Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Job seeker allowance, I was made redundant end of August

Customer Question

Hello Pearl
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: job seeker allowance
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: I was made redundant end of August after 5 years working in Hospitality. My wife works full time. Can I get a job allowance as I was told that I would not because my wife has a high revenue ( +50K/year)?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what is the difference between universal credit and job allowance?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
hello,no reponse or call yet .Please can you let me know when I can expect an answer? Thank-you.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 8 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, I am sorry to hear about this situation In terms of obtaining seeking Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) you would only be eligible for new style JSA. To be eligible for ‘new style’ JSA you’ll need to have worked as an employee and paid Class 1 National Insurance contributions, usually in the last 2 to 3 years. National Insurance credits can also count.

You will not be eligible if you were self-employed and only paid Class 2 National Insurance contributions, unless you were working as a share fisherman or a volunteer development worker.

You’ll also need to:

be 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 or 17 - contact Jobcentre Plus for advice)
be under the State Pension age
not be in full-time education
be available for work
not be working at the moment, or be working less than 16 hours per week on average
not have an illness or disability which stops you from working
live in England, Scotland or Wales
have the right to work in the UK
You’ll also need to take reasonable steps to look for work. You must still follow the guidance on working safely during coronavirus.

Your partner’s income and savings will not affect your claim. You will receive up to £74.35 a week. You can find out more about this including how to apply here: https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Jeremy . Can I please how can I
Claim universal credits? I have been
Working in total 5 years full time. Thanks

You can claim universal credit here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit

If you just click Start now it will take you through the process.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

I am glad I was able to help. Have a great day.