How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2325
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I am on benefits, now due to ill health, the DWP have asked

Customer Question

I am on benefits , now due to ill health , the DWP have asked for my bank statements for the last 4 years, can i refuse to give them to the DWP?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

If the DWP have asked for bank statements for this period of time, you should enquire with them as to why they require the statements.

If they are carrying out a review or investigation, then it is advisable to co-operate. Failure could resulting suspension of benefits. If the DWP are carrying out an investigation into any claims you have made or benefits you receive, then if you refuse to supply the documents they can seek an order compelling you hand over the records they request.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They have asked for them as at some point during my claim for JSA (which has now ended i was since moved to Universal Credit) I was the Director of a limited company, however i made no money out of this, but since funds from that company were paid into my personal accounts, the bank statements are shall we say not helpful to my case, but if the benefit has changed from jsa to u/c how can the new benfit be stopped when if any mistakes were made with any accounting, they were under JSA not U/C?
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

They can still request the statements even for previous claims. It sounds as if they are investigating your previous benefits claims. DWP can do this and go back years if they so wish, to ensure that benefits claims were genuine and information supplied was true and accurate.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i understand that and yes they are, but can they stop my current claim for a different benefit if i wont help them with old invest ion? about another benefit?
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Yes because the decision they made could have been based on old information.

You could be seen as being obstructive and attempting to conceal information from their investigation.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No with regards ***** ***** first, as the new claim is based on when i got ill, but yes i would like to be obstructive with this current investigation about an old claim which has nothing to do with the new claim,
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

That is of course your choice.Then refuse to supply any documents and let them take any action needed to obtain the records they ask for.

Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.