MarianC
MarianC, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109551472

Conveyancing solicitor didn’t do sufficient searches and we

Customer Question

Conveyancing solicitor didn’t do sufficient searches and we have found out from the council we have a public footpath through our garden. Can I claim against the firm
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: West wales
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The property was a repossession and she says it was sold as seen. The council have a right for access to the woods to maintain sewage works which are now redundant. This was an easement arranged in 1953.
Expert:  MarianC replied 11 days ago.

Good evening, yes if it comes to light that there are issues that you were not made aware of, then you do have recourse against your solicitor.

The fact that the property was a repossession (as my own is) does not remove the conveyancer's responsibility to carry out basic searches and a right of way over your property should have been explained in your Report on Title that was drawn up for you.

Even in an auction pack you will have basic searches that would bring these to light.

Please do not let her fob you off, she has not done her job.

Marian

Expert:  MarianC replied 6 days ago.

Good morning, do you require any further assistance?