How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4302
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I got burgled and my insurance company will not pay out, St

Customer Question

hi i got burgled and my insurance company will not pay out
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: St Helens merseyside we have then on cct but can not see faces my doors on patio were pulled open they say thats not force
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: been and let onbus peoplefor help but no good
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 6 days ago.

Good evening. Thank you for your enquiry and patience. I am a solicitor in England and Wales. I am not sure if all the information has been transferred to me. However if you have not escalated your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service you should log the complaint online and their decision will bind your insurer. If you have done this already please feel free to send me your follow up question and I will be more than happy to assist you further. all the best.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I've done that but the agree with insurers
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 6 days ago.

Good evening. thank you for your reply. The Ombudsman decision does not stop you from taking legal action. If you do not agree with the decision you can still take the insurer to court and I would only recommend this if after reading the policy wording and the considerations they say they take into account when assessing claims for indemnity cover you objectively believe that the decision was wrong. If there is no requirement to have cctv and you happened to have it, then that should not prejudice you. It is difficult to prove burglary if the door was open and the burglars only needed to open the door and walk in - that would not fit the definition of burglary. Should you be satisfied that the investigation was not thorough and that you meet the terms and conditions of policy cover then you can sue them in the County Court and if you know the value of what you lost in monetary terms if it is below £10,000.00 you can file your claim on moneyclaimsonline website, if above £10,000.00 you will need to download and complete Form N1, attach your particulars of claim and your evidence to support your claim including the policy wording and schedule. You should also download For EX50 to check the issue fee you will need to file the matter in Court. I hope this helps. I am happy to clarify further if needed. All the best.