Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

After vacating my rented flat recently 2 and a half years

Customer Question

After vacating my rented flat recently 2 and a half years later, my landlord says I did not pay the water bills of my flat and they were being taken off from his account and he did not let me know all this time. He now asks me to pay up the water bills for all the 2 and a half years that I have rented his flat. Is this fair? I would have paid them monthly had I known that I would have paid them monthly. My neighbours do not pay water bills and many others dont as well.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Hewetts Quay, Barking.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

If it was a term of your agreement that you did, the Landlord has been paying them, then you would be liable.

But you need evidence of the agreement which you signed and that the Landlord has been charged superficially for water.

If the Landlord can not provide both of these things then you are not liable.

But if they do, then you are likely to be liable. The Landlord has 6 years to bring a claim under the Limitation Act 1980

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can he keep paying the bills what I am supposed to pay for 2 and a half years and ask me to pay 1000 pounds at the end of the tenancy just because he forgot to give us the bills?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

Well, your liability only ends from when you moved out.

He has 6 years to bring a claim as I have mentioned.

But you need to check the agreement.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks for the input.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 days ago.

My pleasure

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Liability is when I receive my bills and I default on that. If my land lord has been intentionally or unintentionally concealing my bills and wants them reimbursed after 2.5 years how am I not protected?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

Because under the Limitation Act 1980 the Landlord has 6 years from the date of the bills to bring a claim.

I am sorry, but does that clarify?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Fine I get it. The landlord has more rights. I think I will speak to the property agent and trt and work out a solution.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 days ago.

My pleasure.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
What if the bill is addressed to the landlord and not to me? The water bill is a part of the building maintenance bill.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

Then you do not need to pay unless your agreement says otherwise.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The agreement says I am liable to utility bills, water, electricity, gas, broadband. The landlord gets water included in the apartment service charge. This, he has paid himself all this while. Its not separate.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

Yes, I agree, you do not need to pay.

Refuse to do so. Does that assist?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you. I am not being unwise. I genuinely feel he is being unreasonable.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 days ago.

Yes, I would agree. How can he charge for something which is included?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Just to clarify once more. Water bill is included in his yearly apartment service charge. This, he has paid himself for the last 2.5 years but bow at the termination of tenancy is showing me his apartment service charge bill which includes a fixed charge for water.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 days ago.

He can not now charge for that.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It does. Thank you.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 days ago.

My pleasure