SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

I have been separated for 5 years and am currently on

Customer Question

I have been separated for 5 years and am currently on universal credit benefit can I get finanvial help with my divorce
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: have not filed any papers with the family court as no children under30 will be affected
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in wallington in surrey, my council is Sutton cc
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: only as am on benefits can I get financial help
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 10 days ago.

Good evening to you, I'm Lea and I am going to assist you today.

Do you mean financial help to file the petition, or legal aid?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is: 0808(###) ###-####/li>
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
financial help to file petition and legal aid if possible
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
how can I find out about this help please
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 9 days ago.

If you are on a low income/benefits, you may be entitled to fee remission for the cost of submitting any forms to court, e.g. the divorce petition which costs £550. You will need to complete form EX160, which you can find here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/881302/ex160-eng.pdf

Whether or not you are entitled to legal aid will depend on whether you meet the criteria - to find out you will need to complete the online form, see here: https://www.gov.uk/check-legal-aid