How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3285
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I have been separated for 5 years and am currently on

Customer Question

I have been separated for 5 years and am currently on universal credit benefit can I get finanvial help with my divorce
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: have not filed any papers with the family court as no children under30 will be affected
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in wallington in surrey, my council is Sutton cc
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: only as am on benefits can I get financial help
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 10 days ago.

Good evening to you, I'm Lea and I am going to assist you today.

Do you mean financial help to file the petition, or legal aid?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I have found that every question asked in my field of expertise can be answered online; I am not available for phone calls.
  2. The site does automated pop ups for calls, if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you.
  3. Customer services no. is: 0808(###) ###-####/li>
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
financial help to file petition and legal aid if possible
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
how can I find out about this help please
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 9 days ago.

If you are on a low income/benefits, you may be entitled to fee remission for the cost of submitting any forms to court, e.g. the divorce petition which costs £550. You will need to complete form EX160, which you can find here:

Whether or not you are entitled to legal aid will depend on whether you meet the criteria - to find out you will need to complete the online form, see here: