Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I am looking into professional advice to review my contract

Customer Question

Hi, I am looking into professional advice to review my contract to understand the risk of starting a side business as a director. The business is not a competing one to my current employer.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None yet. Just look at my contract. There is a short paragraph but quite vague and non detailed
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 6 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

I would be greatly appreciative if you could use the 5 stars to rate my advice once I have provided it you.

Do you have a copy of the contract.

As long as there is not any clauses stating you can't do this then there shouldn't be a problem, even if there is these are not always legally enforceable. I would be happy to look over the contract for you to determine this.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I do, how can I upload it?

There should be a paperclip icon to allow you to do this.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'll have to find out how I only get the option to send
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am transcribing the clause
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Other Employment
You are required to devote the whole of your time, attention and abilities during your hours of work to duties with the Company and may not undertake any other work during this time.
You may not without prior consent of the Company (which will not be unreasonably withheld) engage in any business or employment which is similar to or competitive with the business of the Company, or which could be considered to impair your availability to act at all times in the best interest of the Company, outside your hours of work for the Company.If you do engage in any other employment to you must notify the Company in writing of hours worked elsewhere to enable to the Company to comply with its statutory obligations.

Thank you. So it basically is as it reads. You will want to inform your line manager that you are going to do some self employed work in your own home. You will want to ensure that they understand that this will not impede, compete or interfere with your employment with them. They cannot stop you from doing this unless they have a legitimate reason for doing so, given what you have told me then I don't see that they would have one, especially if you are not competing with them. If there were to terminate your employment due to this then you would potentially have a case for unfair dismissal however, I would hope that this would not be the case under these circumstances. I hope this information has helped.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks