Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I am a member of a Pilates club where I bought a bulk

Customer Question

I am a member of a Pilates club where I bought a bulk package for 50 classes. I never paid any membership, because the class pack was pay-as-you-go. I just noticed that, for the past 2 months, the club has withdrawn £133 from my account as membership fee. When I contacted them to ask what this is they replied: "We sent you an email on the 21st August informing you that we were opening and that payments were starting again, it detailed how much and when. There was an option if you did not wish to continue with your monthly membership to request a cancellation." However, I never had a monthly membership, which is why I didn't think this email applied to me. Can they just automatically do that and sign me up for a service I never used??
Expert:  Ross Miller replied 17 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

I would be greatly appreciative if you could use the 5 stars to rate my advice once I have provided it you.

Thank you for your question. So the simple answer is no. A membership is a contract and for a contract to be enforceable, there has to be an offer and acceptance. What you will firstly want to do is ensure that it is not stipulated anywhere (any contract or website etc.) that you need a membership in order to take the class package you have purchased. In the likelihood that there is not such clause, then you will simply want to write to them and state that you never agreed to purchase any membership and you were satisfied with the classes you purchased. With this being the case then you will be entitled to a full refund. Technically you could raise a legal action to get your money back but for the sake of what you have been charged it wouldn't be worth it. However, you can state that this is your intention if you feel that would help. However, legally unless you entered into an agreement which means you accepted a membership then they cannot enforce this payment against you and you have the right to have your money returned to you in full.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks this is brilliant

You are welcome and I wish you all the best.